Kyria Draxus

Today I would like to present to you finished Kyria Draxus miniature.

As you can see, the idea was to make her armor look like it's painted with chrome and place the character on a desert scenery, just like in classic old-school American airbrushed illustrations from the 80's.



Reflections of sky and earth on the chrome armor

 

Another thing I wanted to experiment with was her dragon.

The obvious choice for this creature was green or red, but I wanted to make something extra.

That's why I decided to try to paint it with as saturated colors as I can, and to create super strong contrast.

That's why the colors go straight from bright, super saturated highlights into sudden, fully black shadows. This trick makes the colors pop out even more and makes them look brighter than they really are.

 

Kyria's contrastful and saturated Dragon

Then, there is her face. In order to make the armor look like a real piece of chromed metal, I had to paint her face with smaller contrast and make smooth, gentle transitions between shadows and lights.

 

I used the same trick for painting her base. Because it's painted with smaller contrast, the armor looks really sharp and metallic.

The base
 

Then, there are the reflections of other objects on the armor.

It might be hard to believe, but reflections of the dragon are at least 90% accurate and the 10% differences rather come from the fact, that I had to fit in there a bit more details than would really be visible in order to make it look more interesting. I presented and explained step-by-step how I painted them on my Patreon so if you would like to learn the tricks that I used for painting realistic reflections, you can learn it from there.

However, I'm not going to lie, it was a real challenge, especially since the miniature is really small.

Dragon reflections on the chrome armor

The last thing was the red robe. I decided to step out from my comfort zone and paint on it reflections that could occur on silk material. I was worried how the reflections will look like, but they turned out really well! I'm really happy with the result.

The red silk cloak

As you can see, all the photos that I uploaded are very big, because I want you to be able see my brushstrokes. It's normal that if you zoom in the photos enough, you will see imperfections, brushstrokes, dust fibers etc. These are the things that you can't see having the miniature in your hands, because they are just too small.

If you would like to learn how I painted this miniature, you can find 9 tutorials about painting Kyria Draxus on My Patreon. 3 of them are video tutorials recorded in full HD with very big zoom, my commentary, color mixtures etc. 6 are step-by-step PDF tutorials with very big photos where you can see even the smallest details.

Now I have for you the final photos of the miniature and I hope you like the final effect of my work :)

Kyria Draxus








Regards

Flameon



Comments